Some Teenage Depression Statistics are:
- The number of girls suffering from depression is double than that of boys. The major reason of this inequality is due to abuse and discrimination with girls and also the hormonal changes.
- About 5% teenagers are suffering from major depression. They may even have a suicidal tendency.
- The number of teens who suffer from depression for a year or so is 8% which is much greater in comparison to adults.
- About 50% of those suffering from depression are also having another mental disorder.
- Every 7 out 10 teenagers has multiple episodes of depression before they become adult.
- Teenagers often become drug addicts or smokers due to depression and the numbers of teens who do so are as high as 30% presently. This makes the condition even worse because it gives only momentary relief but causes other long term health complications.
- Depression can increase the suicidal tenancy by 12 times in a teenager. Suicide has become the third major reason of death in teenagers.
- A major problem detected from Teenage Depression Statistics is that the number of teenagers having treatment for depression has dropped from 40% to 35% within 5 years.
Treatment of depression in teenagers is very effective which is proved by the fact that according to Teenage Depression Statistics 80% of teenagers who are taking professional help are successfully treated. According to present trends many believe that depression will become the second most common health problem in the world. Parents should be very cautious and notice whether their child is showing any depression symptoms. They should be close to their children and talk to them. This may prevent the chances of child feeling lonely and become a drug addict later on.